Shionogi – Antimicrobial Stewardship Program
Company Shionogi & Co. Ltd., Japan
Sub category of Industry R&D Pharma
Category of commitment Appropriate Use
Key focus Research & Science
Key partners of the program Governments
Geographic focus China, Japan, Taiwan, Province Of China
At Shionogi, antimicrobial stewardship means selecting the best medicine and administration method and ensuring treatment starts and ends at the optimal time, in order to make treatment safe and reliable, prevent the spread of drug-resistant bacteria and viruses, and support the effective use of healthcare resources.
The program aims to implement the following initiatives to ensure all antimicrobials, not just those made by Shionogi, are used appropriately.
- Organize and provide necessary information about appropriate treatment approaches based on domestic and international guidelines.
- Provide useful information about treatment using data from domestic and international antimicrobial susceptibility surveillance programs.
In July 2010, Shionogi established a special unit promoting appropriate use of anti-infective drugs. The mission of this unit is:
- Adhere to the highest ethical standard in promotion of antibiotics.
- Support continuing medical education from anti-infective Key Opinion Leaders to Health Care Professionals (HCP) regarding appropriate use of antibiotics (Lecture, Web conference, Radio broadcasting, Support tools of countermeasures against nosocomial infection etc.)
- Share relevant information on appropriate use to HCPs (Symposium, Lecture at medical office etc.)
- Engage in research and development of anti-infective innovative medicine and diagnostics.
- Conduct surveillance for susceptibility of antibiotics every two years, at approximately 20 medical institutes in Japan.